Consignment Sale Secrets
Cara Davis | FreeShipping.org
Now that my daughter is 2, I’m finding my closets are bloated and my floors overrun with toys. In researching options to make some room without losing my shirt on what I’ve paid out, I’ve found the local consignment sales are a good option. I get 65 percent of my selling price, and first dibs at shopping at the sales themselves. These are usually held twice a year at community centers, churches or homes. Multiple consignors come together and split the cost of facility and equipment rentals. To find consignment sales in your area, do an Internet search along with your local city’s name or check online national listings.
Here are some tips to get your clothing items to sell quickly at these types of sales, and for the right price.
- Carefully inspect for stains or missing buttons and snaps.
- Ensure that sets are the same size, or sell separately.
- Gently wash and dry items for sale.
- Ironing will go a great distance in selling your items quickly.
- Make sure each piece hangs on a hanger except for undergarments and onesies. Place those in plastic bags.
- If you use separate hangers for multiple pieces to one outfit, use clear zip ties to keep them together.
- Use safety pins to attach additional pieces to the back of the outfit, like bloomers.
- Pin pants to hanger shoulders to keep them from sliding and folding together.
- Price clothing at what you would be willing to pay for it. Under or over-pricing will prevent the item from selling as quickly.
- Reduce the price by 50 percent on the last day of the sale to ensure you don’t go home with your remaining inventory.
- Include an item description on the sales tag, in the event that one piece or the tag itself gets separated from the item. Use safety pins to attach tags to the clothing.
(For more savings tips, check out FreeShippping.org’s “Go Frugal” blog at http://www.freeshipping.org/blog/. Cara Davis is a freelance writer and editor. She is the author of “Cheap Ways to Tie the Knot” and blogs about savvy ways to spend and save at www.cheapwaysto.com)
© 2009, www.freeshipping.org
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.
TO SUBSCRIBE TO NEWS2USE
Items in the News2Use package are not included in your MCT News Service subscription. You can subscribe to the News2Use package or purchase the items a la carte on MCT Direct at www.mctdirect.com. To subscribe, please call Rick DeChantal at Tribune Media Services at (800) 245-6536 or email@example.com. Outside the United States, call Tribune Media Services International at +1-312-222-4444or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For reprints, email email@example.com, call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
© 2009, YellowBrix, Inc.